04 September 2007

CORN, corn, corn, corncorncorn, corncorn!

I have just returned from Nebraska, and I really liked it! Omaha seems like a decent city, and the rural out state areas were pretty much par for the course in the Midwest. It was a really fun and pleasant experience! Speaking of par for the course...Jon and I went golfing with his dad. His dad works at this particular golf course. I don't know who the architect for this course was, but if I ever meet them, they will receive a firm talking to! OK, not really. If you're a good golfer it's not THAT difficult I'm sure, but for me?

The course was the most difficult I've ever experienced. BIG HUGE SPIKED YUCCA INFESTED WEED BUNKERS EVERYWHERE! And my ball landed(well ball after ball, since I lost so many)in the sand traps. A lot. I haven't golfed 18 holes since high school playoffs. That was a LONG time ago. It was exhausting just being out in the sun that long. Yeah, wow, I'm getting old.

Overall though I had a really great time in Nebraska with Jon's family. We relaxed, played a lot of games, and rocked out on guitar hero! New favorite game, for sure. It's a good thing I'm not one to indulge in video gaming systems...something tells me I would rarely leave the house with guitar hero sitting there, calling my name.

Highlight of the weekend: Jon sporting some fake kiddie blue tooth earpieces with bright red twinkling lights, that were pulled out of a cereal box. His cute elderly grandmother says to him as she's walking out of the room "I always knew you'd sparkle!" Hilarious.

Today was my first full day of work since last Wednesday...it is so hard to come back from an extended weekend. Does anyone else hate Sunday nights (in this case it was a Monday, but you know what I mean) as much as I do? I dread having to go back to a full day of work the next day. I feel like it's always been this way, be it school or work, but I'm not certain if it's just me, or the jobs I've had in recent years...Hmmmm...interesting.

This morning I thought that maybe it would help my mood to bike to work. As sweaty as it was, it really did cheer me up. There's something about pedaling along down the street for 4 miles or so through the neighborhoods, and into downtown. Maybe it's that I have to sit so upright on this particular bike, but I feel like even purposeful rides/commuting rides are leisurely. It's quite nice. Now I just have to pedal back up that darn hill once I trek back to Northeast. I just realized that it will most likely be dark by the time I head home tonight. I'm not too excited about the quickly shortening days, but oh well. That's just part of fall. Good thing I remembered my bike lights! YEEHAW!

4 comments:

Marishka said...

Jon's a sparkly one for sure.

I had no idea you were in the 'aska.

I think I feel the same way about my Preservations class as you do about Sunday nights... no good.

I'm trying to tell myself I don't already want to dump archiving.

I'll just wait around and see what sort of anniversary gift it gives me, and if that blows, I'm ghost.

Wendy from Mpls said...

Hi Mackenzie: I am considering getting a raleigh coasting bike too. I've pretty much ridden old sturdy Schwinn bikes my whole life and I am looking for a new commuter bike. I've checked around and found one review that said the gear shifting element was wonky. Have you any issues like that? Love to hear what you think. thanks, Wendy

Mackenzie said...

Hi Wendy: Responding to your comment here, as I couldn't figure out if you had a blog of your own I should write to...

I really like the bike, and it has been functioning well. It took me a little to get used to the automatic shifting. The gears shift based on your pedal speed, but eventually I got used to it, and knew how fast or slow to pedal to get it to up/down shift. I have noticed that it catches a bit here and there, but minimally. I received an email from Bike Town regarding the shifting box, and there is apparently a little adjustment screw on it that may need to be tweaked. I really haven't looked that much into it at this point.

One thing I would like is an override switch. I do like the automatic shifting, but I don't really care to pedal up hills at a turtle's pace, so I would LOVE to be able to override the automatic shifting mechanism, if only to hammer up some of the hills I ride during my commute.

That aside, I find the automatic shifting quite lovely for my purposes. My commute is around 4 or so miles each way.

Hope you find this helpful!

Wendy from Mpls said...

Hi Mackenzie! And thanks for getting back to me. You are correct, I don't have a blog, but perhaps I will start one once I get my bike and it will be "The other Girl meets Bike" or something. :) I appreciate the info. Very helpful. This bike does sound like a good match for my needs as well. What I like to do is ride my bike to the train station and take the train to work, and then bike all the way home. So all told, about the same distance you are going each day. I didn't realize till after I posted that you are also in Minneapolis, so that's cool. I did see, from looking through your posts, that you tried to put your bike on the front rack of a metro transit bus and it did not fit. bummer. Have you ever taken your bike on the train? The wheels on my Schwinn are too fat for the bike racks on the train, so I usually just stand my bike in the rike rack area, but I don't like that it means I am then taking up two bike spots. I was hoping the Raleigh might actually work in the racks on the train. Do you know? thanks much! ~ Wendy